https://www.fullmotionchiropractic.com/assets/users/chiro/174/uploads/images/2019/03/pexels-photo-302083.jpeg
Full Motion Chiropractic

The Body's Aging Pattern

Google+

Our bodies go through tremendous changes from birth to death.  Many of these changes are similar from person to person up to when we hit our "peak" health state where our bones and muscles tend to be at their strongest.  This is typically around 25 years old.  After 25 is where we can start to see more changes from person to person.

The good news is that those who prioritize their health by eating fairly well and putting effort into their physical fitness can keep that peak state for another decade or so, usually into the mid to late 30's.  The mid to late 30's is where you can really notice huge differences between people who work on their health and those who don't.  Those who maintain a good diet, sleep well, keep their mindset right and exercise consistently will have a very slow decline from their peak body health over several decades where muscle and bone density will only very gradually diminish.  However, for those who don't put an emphasis on their health, this is the time you'll start to see more severe dropoffs in health.  You know you've seen people who are in their 50's but look like they are over 70.  On the other hand you've seen people in their 70's and they look like they are 10-20 years younger.

If you're reading this and you're over 25 don't worry.  Starting an exercise program and improving your diet at any age will still give you significant health benefits.  The biggest thing is to start today.

We also now know that our DNA doesn't control our health destiny as much as we once thought.  In fact, at most only about 5% of all diseases are caused by "bad" genes.  The other 95% of poor health issues actually have to do with things like lifestyle and environmental factors.  The best way to think of this is that while you may have your parents' genes, you don't have to have their health.  For good or bad, your health is truly under your control!

If you're struggling to get started, find something to motivate you.  It might be that you want to be able to physically play with your grandchildren as they get older.  It might be that you just want to feel much better every day.  Find your "why" and use that to get moving.  If pain has been holding you back, that's what chiropractors are for.  If you don't know what to eat Google either the Mediterranean Diet or Keto Diet depending on what you're going for.  They are 2 of the most studied diets related to longevity and fitness.  If you have any other health questions definitely give me a call!

-Dr. Adam Sagedahl